[Lazarus] debug hints in lazarus [Re: [fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:31:05 CEST 2011

On 13 September 2011 20:50, Martin wrote:

> Becuase the delphi compiler (not debugger)  does add infor for the those
> global vars (but skips any debug info for funtionx)...

Ah, sneaky.

> If it is a plain function (not a method), and if it takes no param => try
> (without the quotes)
> "gMyApplication()"

Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

>>> huge amount of respect for your archivment of implementing fpgui without
>>> using any debugging at all. WOW.  (scnr :)  )
>...snip...
>> so debugging works quite
>> well, contrary to what you might think.
>
> You did read the "scnr" followed by a common emoticon?

Yes, but I have no idea what "World of Warcraft" or "Somatic Cell
Nuclear Replacement" has to do with the current topic. ;-)

> And you do output entire classes, or just individual fields?

Both. tiOPF has a debug visitor class that generates whole class
output, and for everything else, I can use the various Log() or
LogXXX() calls.  Code Templates come in handy here, and auto-wraps
such code in IFDEF's so they don't accidentally get left in the code
or compiled in release builds.

> Because I use the watch window. I display:
> And the output looks quite good as well

The "Watch List" window is rather broken as far as I'm concerned.

> I can even save the entire recorded debug session to a file. And import it.

That's pretty neat.

> I am not sure what the minimum fpc version for this is.

I'll get a fpc trunk update tomorrow and retest.

  - Graeme -