[Lazarus] debug hints in lazarus [Re: [fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 23:28:41 CEST 2011

On 13 September 2011 22:18, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> Funny how experiences can differ.

I honestly can't think how anybody can say Lazarus debugging is better
than Delphi (or even Kylix 3 from years ago). But as you said, each
persons mileage my vary.  :-)

> better than with Delphi. That's because when you're debugging on Delphi,
> the IDE is scaled down to the feature-level of Notepad.

Normal code navigation (Ctrl+Click) in Delphi 7 [only Delphi I
currently have available] is indeed disabled while debugging, but that
was substituted for another debug function. Ctrl+Click while in
debugging mode allows you to quickly view the debug data, data type
etc., and _allow you to modify_ the value if needed. Something which
is quite handy while debugging - so I can understand why they altered
the IDE behaviour while debugging.

Can one change values of items while debugging in Lazarus? I can't
seem to find any such functionality in Lazarus 0.9.30.1 (I'll check
trunk tomorrow at work). I know GDB (command line) and MSEide allows
this, so it should be possible in Lazarus IDE.

  - Graeme -