[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.0 is branched

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Thu Apr 5 13:59:42 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
> On 4/4/2012 21:18, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>>
>>> "make clean all" is the clean way.
>>

>> It's recommended if I have an error, right?
>

> ummm... noooo... please see the "lazbuild build IDE profiles" thread...

Sorry. I think I still didn't understand what advantages to use
lazbuild instead of IDE>Build

>> We use "make clean all", get a default IDE and recompile again using
>> pcp param to restart all configurations, components, etc. But I have
>> to compile twice. Am I right?
>

> yes, there is that but if "make all" is not used, the one must know and call
> all of the necessary make targets without the IDE one to get all the tools
> built...

And lazbuild do this, i.e., build ALL tools, sources and IDE (of course)?

>>> In 99,9% of all svn revisions it is enough to rebuild the IDE via the
>>> IDE.
>

> that's what my discussions in the "lazbuild build IDE profiles" thread are
> all about... why have to manually go into the IDE to build a new IDE after a
> svn update?? i start my "updatelaz" script which cleans the dirs, updates
> from svn, and then does the building of the tools and lazarus... now that
> things are working better, i can go have a cuppa' joe while everything does
> all its churning and burning... on this particular workstation, that's about
> 30 minutes or so... maybe more... maybe less...

OK, I see at least one advantage to use lazbuild now: I can have ONE
big script that clear, update and compile all sources and tools.
Maybe I'm totally wrong, but I don't see many other advantages. I
don't update always -- I like to see what changed before update -- and
the only difference between use the IDE instead lazbuild to compile is
that the user have to run the IDE and click in Build -- and I can go
have a cup of coffe -- and the lazbuild (working together with a big
script) can be running with a single command.
But you can change my mind.  =)

>> OK.
>> I compiled project ide/startlazarus.lpi and I got an error because the
>> startlazarus.exe is running... of course. So, I started Lazarus
>> without use startlazarus and I compiled again. Now I can see the
>> splash updated.
>

> hummm... interesting...

=)

Marcos Douglas