[Lazarus] TProcess, UTF8, Windows

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Fri Apr 13 18:41:48 CEST 2012

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
 > It is better to document this issues once in 1 single place.

Definitely not! Why is it such a problem so write the encoding type for
a function like CopyFile into the documentation for it? It belongs
there. Of course, there could also be a link to somewhere but it must be
reachable from the documentation of the function. The first information
available is this entry. When I have a question to any of these
functions the first place to go is google. And then I am stuck because
there is no further information about encoding of the string parameters.

And we already have a large documentation about all of
 > this. Just read here:
 > http://wiki.freepascal.org/LCL_Unicode_Support

Then this link has to be added to each of the affected functions.
How else should someone get there from the documentation of CopyFile for
example?
And it is only a very crude way to answer the simple question:
What encoding is expected to the string paramters of CopyFile (or
FindFirst)?

 > About FindFirst, you should know that there is FindFirstUTF8:
 > http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/docs/lcl/fileutil/findfirstutf8.html

Yes, but why do I get this information only after lengthy discussions in
this list? Why does no link appear unter "See also" in the FindFirst
documenation? Aren't you annoyed by all these questions here in the
list? If this would be answered in the documenation then it would not
come up here (and would not annoy and displease so many new joiners to
Free Pascal). If each and every parameter would have the same encoding
then it would not be such a problem but in this case where each function
has its own encoding it is essential.