[Lazarus] Translations / Localizations for controls at design time

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Aug 1 01:02:23 CEST 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:40:22 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 July 2012 22:41, Maxim Ganetsky <ganmax at narod.ru> wrote:
> >
> > Lazarus already has automatic form translation facilities. See Project
> > Options -> i18n. Your .po files will be updated automatically when you will
> > change your forms.
>
> Creating the resource string constants is not the problem. Lazarus
> does what is already very easy to do manually.
> Plus, Lazarus gives automated resource string constant names (eg:
> TForm1.Button1.Caption) - those tend to be pretty horrible, compared
> to what I use (eg: rsAccountingTransactionDate), and with my naming it
> will have some meaning to the translator in their PO Editor tool.

As far as I know there is no way to automatically generate "some
meaning" like "rsAccountingTransactionDate".
Maybe you can some links to such an algorithm/library?

> Also, using that Lazarus automated i18n feature, how do you reuse
> common resource string constants. Lazarus probably isn't going to
> reuse any - thus creating lots and lots of duplicate translations for
> the translator. That sucks for the poor translator. Just look at the
> Lazarus IDE to see how much duplication exists for translators.

Yes, please do so. How much duplication do you see for translators in
the Lazarus IDE?

> What the original poster is proposing seems more sensible, and allows
> to reuse common resource string constants. Pick a resource string from
> an already defined list.

Almost all resourcestrings of the IDE were created by picking from a
list. Can you be more specific?

Mattias