[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Aug 3 11:18:03 CEST 2012

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Henry Vermaak wrote:

> On 03/08/12 09:43, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> On 2 August 2012 18:38, Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ehmm.. I'm trying to contain myself, but WHY does Lazarus 1 and 1+ even
>>> support Win9x/ME anymore?
>>
>> Because not everybody feels the need to "fix" what isn't broken. Why
>
> Lol, you owe me a new keyboard.  No updates for 6 years from MS, no
> journalling filesystem (no ntfs).  Stop talking out of your backside.
>
> I personally think it's immoral to support these operating systems.
> People should be forced away from them for their own good (security
> wise), since they obviously know no better.  By supporting them, you
> just drag out the process.

The problem is very practical: Graeme comes from South Africa.
His clients are schools, distributed over South Africa and probably
the rest of Africa as well.

Upgrading costs money. These people simply do not have the money to upgrade.

For westerners, upgrading is natural; we (mostly) do not think about the cost.

The clients of Graeme could of course obtain illegal copies of Windows and
upgrade like that. Well, they want to play it fair, and that means:
remain on an old version because they cannot afford the new one.

An additional problem is probably that their hardware is so old that the
newer versions of Windows simply don't run on it.

Michael.