[Lazarus] Inno Setup no longer supports Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 11:29:11 CEST 2012

On 3-8-2012 11:18, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Henry Vermaak wrote:
>> On 03/08/12 09:43, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> Because not everybody feels the need to "fix" what isn't broken. Why
>>
>> Lol, you owe me a new keyboard.  No updates for 6 years from MS, no
>> journalling filesystem (no ntfs).  Stop talking out of your backside.
>>
>> I personally think it's immoral to support these operating systems.
>> People should be forced away from them for their own good (security
>> wise), since they obviously know no better.  By supporting them, you
>> just drag out the process.
>
> The problem is very practical: Graeme comes from South Africa. His
> clients are schools, distributed over South Africa and probably the rest
> of Africa as well.
>
> Upgrading costs money. These people simply do not have the money to
> upgrade.
>
> For westerners, upgrading is natural; we (mostly) do not think about the
> cost.
>
> The clients of Graeme could of course obtain illegal copies of Windows
> and upgrade like that. Well, they want to play it fair, and that means:
> remain on an old version because they cannot afford the new one.
>
> An additional problem is probably that their hardware is so old that the
> newer versions of Windows simply don't run on it.

Yep. Presumably changing over to (some less resource intensive version -
i.e. older or non-mainstream - of) Linux would be possible but would
still involve retraining costs/effort.

(Only slightly exaggerating: and if you're stuck with Telkom phone
lines/ADSL or something even worse, I sympathise with people who want to
download Linux CDs).

Regards,
Reinier