[Lazarus] Right tool for the job?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:20:27 CEST 2012

On 8 August 2012 07:50, Chavoux Luyt <chavoux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I am thinking of writing a new (3D) window manager for linux using
> OpenGL/glScene in Lazarus. Do you think it is the right tool for the job, or
> should I rather look at something else using C or C++ directly with openGL?

The Object Pascal language is 100% fine for just about any task....
GUI app, Console app, CGI / Web app, Services/Daemon apps etc. There
are already a few X11 window managers implemented using Object Pascal.
XPDE (implemented using Kylix 3), fpwm (available on SourceForge which
first used fpGUI Toolki, but not sure what it uses now) etc. I have
also seen some window managers implemented using SDL (projects also
available on SourceForge), and FPC includes SDL bindings out of the
box.

  - Graeme -