[Lazarus] Right tool for the job?

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:31:36 CEST 2012

Hi Graeme

On 8 August 2012 10:20, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Object Pascal language is 100% fine for just about any task....
> GUI app, Console app, CGI / Web app, Services/Daemon apps etc. There
> are already a few X11 window managers implemented using Object Pascal.
> XPDE (implemented using Kylix 3), fpwm (available on SourceForge which
> first used fpGUI Toolki, but not sure what it uses now) etc. I have
> also seen some window managers implemented using SDL (projects also
> available on SourceForge), and FPC includes SDL bindings out of the
> box.

Thanks for the answer. While I am very comfortable with the Object Pascal
language, I know that the original Delphi was in many case simply a very
thin layer over the Windows API (sometimes simply a Pascal translation).
That is why I was not so sure about its use on Linux (especially for 3D).

I just want to confirm that SDL bindings you talk about is not the same as
the JEDI SDL tools? Or does the JEDI SDL components make use of these
existing bindings?

Thanks again
Chavoux