[Lazarus] language setup / http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22574

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Aug 14 23:12:43 CEST 2012

On 14/08/2012 21:29, Avishai wrote:
> I haven't seen what you are working on so I'm not sure if what I say
> is relevant.  Often I am logged into my Hebrew account and sometime my
> English account.  When I first tried to install Lazarus, I was in
> Hebrew, so Lazarus started in Hebrew.  I had too much trouble trying
> to figure out the menus and had to uninstall it, switch to English
> login, and reinstall it.  Lazarus is not alone in this practice of
> "automatic" install.  In my opinion, "automatic" is a very bad choice.

At the moment, I am not working at it.

It is generally agreed that this should be improved. Most likely by
prompting the user, when he runs Lazarus for the very first time.
(existing users/upgrades will not be prompted, as they likely already
made there choice.)

However, it is impossible to do all that for the next release.
So the question is, what, if anything can be done within a couple of
days? And how can it be done.

There are suggestions. BUT: are hey really better.

Would it be better, for all users to start in English? Even if there is
a really good translation? Some people can not ask questions in the
English forums, due to lack of English experience. WIll it be good to
force them into an Englis IDE, or would they prefer it in their native
language?

For that reason I am not convinced that a global, unconditional change
of the default will really make things better.

Especially, since this discussion is in English, so those people will
not raise their voice here.

Some people say, that for the language they speak it would be better:
-  Some assume that all their countryman will prefer this.
- Some say that the translation for the specific language is so bad,
that it can't be used.

The second, may be an argument. But it may mean that the translation
will have to be removed completely. If so, then it will not be an issue.

Unfortunately  this only came up so close to  the next release.

Rushing into something now, without even being sure, that it really is
an improvement does not seem a wise choice to me.