[Lazarus] Merge setup dialog and options dialog?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Aug 19 18:30:02 CEST 2012

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 14:10:46 +0100
Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

> On 19/08/2012 12:58, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > The setup dialog that appears when you start Lazarus with e.g. the
> > compiler set to a non-existent file and the options dialog cover the
> > same settings and overlap a lot.
> >
> > Maybe it's a good idea to think about merging them into one for future
> > Lazarus versions:
> >

> The setup dialog, is meant to have only a very few settings. I do not
> think we should display the full option dialog.

+1

The purpose of the setup dialog is to check the most important
environment options, to
- warn the user that the installation might be incomplete/wrong
- avoid starting the wrong IDE
- combine several warnings in one dialog

> By showing only selected settings, it is much easier for the user to see
> what needs to be fixed.
>
> At the moment the only thing, that I think should still be added is the
> language.

+1

> So I do thing, they will need to stay 2 individual forms.
>
> So there are intentional differences, and they should be kept.

I would even say, there should be more.

The current setup dialog combines several messagedlg.
There are some functions that checks many settings and may show a
cascade of messagedlg (e.g. compiling, running, compiling the IDE).
Maybe some of these messages can be combined too.

Mattias