[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.0 Release

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Aug 30 12:02:50 CEST 2012

On 08/30/2012 11:39 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> How that? What would need to be changed when "string" becomes
> something different from AnsiString?

(Please don't let me start ranting about calling UTF-8-coded information
"AnsiString" :-( :-( :-(    )

At least any myString[i] and _explicit_ usage of the integers used in
Length(), Pos(), Copy(), and friends is effected.

Not a big deal when _creating_ a program (and you know what you are
doing), but can result in a huge percentage of the effort when poring a
large Delphi program to FPC (which right now _is_ as good idea regarding
the latest moves of Embarcadero's).

If I port a program done with a Unicode aware Delphi version (16-Bit
Strings) to the current version of Lazarus (8 Bit Strings), and after
some months need to redo all the fixes I painfully did, (with rather
normal German programs I more often than not need to be aware of the
Unicode encoding with UTF-8,  but close to never with UTF-16), I'll be
_very_ frustrated.

So I'll recommend holding off.

-Michael