[Lazarus] Lazarus 1.0 Release

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Aug 31 09:57:09 CEST 2012

On 08/30/2012 08:30 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> This can be done inside the interface or, when the interface is
> retyped, it does not affect user code because of automatic conversion.

If the type "String" is moved to 16 Bit Characters and at the same time
the LCL "Interface" is (necessarily) retyped in the same way, there is
no additional automatic conversion, but the user code, depending on the
Type "String", needs to be checked all over the place if or if not the
re-definition of "String" might result in any problems.

My colleagues painfully did this to their huge count of huge projects on
Delphi when the String Type - and at the same time the VCL "Interface" -
did the change from 8 bit to 16 Bit Characters.

Only difference: Delphi moved from 8 bit ANSI to 16 BIT  Unicode,
Lazarus will move from 8 Bit Unicode to 16 Bit Unicode.

Thus, porting big applications from either Delphi version (8 Bit ANSI or
16 Bit Unicode) to 8 Bit Unicode will create additional issues regarding
porting from 16 Bit Unicode Delphi to 16 Bit Unicode Lazarus, IMHO, is
depreciated, and waiting for a 16 Bit Unicode version of FPC and Lazarus
is recommended.

IMHO, the FPC and Lazarus teams should do the move to 16 bit Unicode as
#1 priority, regarding the latest seemingly rather abysmal moves of
Embarcadero's, prohibiting client/server - programming with affordable
Delphi versions.

-Michael