[Lazarus] Tprogressbar and positional info as ptrint.

Andrew Brunner atbrunner at aurawin.com
Thu Dec 6 02:34:44 CET 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Juha Manninen schrieb:
>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Andrew Brunner <atbrunner at aurawin.com> wrote:
>>> I'm getting overflow exceptions on values greater than integer.  Can someone revise all values from integer to ptrint so on 64 bit systems it will be valid.
>> You can scale the value in your code before using it for ProgressBar's Position.
>> Integer has 2^31 positive values which should be enough for all the
>> positions shown in a graphical component.
>
> Does anybody have an screen or printer, with so many pixels? ;-)
> [That's why Integer is way enough for a progress bar]

You are serious ?!?  There is no correlation between the actual number of pixels on a screen and the drawing of the progress bar by the host operating system.

Obviously I have graphical data that needs progress representation beyond the 2g limit...  But we need to be serious here. The progressbar is painted by the os.  There is scaling that happens by the ui component.  Hence the need for expansion in the user realm.

In the time it took to convince you there is a problem the solution could have been adopted.

Please this isn't about pixels, it's about efficient scaling onto 64bit systems.  Hence a flaw.