[Lazarus] Tprogressbar and positional info as ptrint.

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 05:42:38 CET 2012

Andrew Brunner schrieb:

>>> Integer has 2^31 positive values which should be enough for all
>>> the positions shown in a graphical component.
>> Does anybody have an screen or printer, with so many pixels? ;-)
>> [That's why Integer is way enough for a progress bar]
>>

> You are serious ?!?  There is no correlation between the actual
> number of pixels on a screen and the drawing of the progress bar by
> the host operating system.

How that? A control on screen is painted pixel-by-pixel, you cannot have
fractions of pixels on the screen.

> Obviously I have graphical data that needs progress representation
> beyond the 2g limit...

Somebody else may have graphics data in Extended form, spanning much
more than Integer or Int64, or only a fraction of 1. Should a simple
component take care of all imagineable number types?

>  But we need to be serious here. The
> progressbar is painted by the os.  There is scaling that happens by
> the ui component.  Hence the need for expansion in the user realm.

When the progress bar is scaled to percents, then every user should be
able to convert his numbers into a percentage.

DoDi