[Lazarus] Fast drawing to canvas

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Fri Feb 10 14:09:14 CET 2012

> That's a valid reason, but I removed the disk cache to test pure drawing performance.

In that case 25FPS at 50% HD is very poor. I would expect at least 3 times as much (see also my test app). How do you draw the pixels? Do you use glBitmap or do you use GL_POINTS?
Could you share the test application you've made with me?

>> In the "fast" version I stream data from a png and this is actually
>> pretty fast now. However I will implement native loading of the images
>> to optimize the process. But this is only optionally as my issue is not
>> with the setup of the file cache but more with the drawing speed. As
>> said, on windows I get 50%HD @ 88fps and full HD @35fps. Now Mac is
>> worrying as it draws full HD @ only 12fps. Maybe opengl can draw more
>> efficienctly in this case? I would also like to test SDL.
>
> I don't know whether OpenGL is really more efficiently, I just wanted to throw in an alternative variant.
Of course, evaluate all possibilities. I'm hoping that OpenGL will be faster over all platforms, as I've seen substantial performance loss when using the Mac canvas.

Regards, Darius