[Lazarus] Fast drawing to canvas

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Fri Feb 10 19:51:34 CET 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Lukasz Sokol wrote:

> On 10/02/2012 16:11, dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl wrote:
>>> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:34:20 +0100
>>> dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl wrote:
> [...]
>>> Why are you displaying single images at all?
>>> It sounds a lot like you are playing movie clips, so why do you not use a
>>> suitable codec/container combination like xvid/avi, h.264/mpeg-4 or some
>>> other video format that fits your needs?
>>
>> Yes, I'm playing movie clips. But playing back images from a video codec
>> is besides the point. I have implemented my own "simple" raw image codec
>> (filecache.pas) that reads pixels from disk. My problems lie with the
>> playback of video.
>
> If I recall correctly, programs like MPlayer (or was it FFMpeg?) had an 'input' that
> could read static images and output video stream to stdout (but I might not
> remember correctly, pls check docs)
I think your referring to a frameserver.

> Then the video stream could be piped into the player program,...
> so FFMpeg reads series of images - pipes into MPlayer that displays it-
> or MPlayer can be told to read series of images as it were frames -
> is that what you're trying to achieve ?

No, I'm working on an NLA editor and compositor actually. In this editor images can be loaded from a movie file (already got the ffmpeg header file from MiSchi) , but other "devices" are also supported such as photos and generated images.

The editor needs to be able to playback the results and this was the reason for my original post. The playback was simply too slow.

Regards, Darius