[Lazarus] installing chm help

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 12:23:08 CET 2012

Am 15.02.2012 12:13, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 15 February 2012 12:30, Hans-Peter Diettrich  wrote:
>>
>>> why does basic stuff, eg: 'write' and 'writeln' not have any help at all?
>>

>> Thanks, I didn't realize that yet. It's for the same reason: these are
>> compiler magics, for which FPDoc doesn't find a declaration in the source
>

> They ARE defined in the System unit and already documented. It shows
> up fine here (INF&  PDF help).

They are not defined in the System unit (they are compiler intrinsics),
but they are indeed documented.

>>> where is the help for items like 'PadRight', 'AddChar', 'PadLeft',
>>> 'AddCharR' and similar??
>>

>> I just can't find in which units these are declared.
>

> Doesn't LHelp have a search function? Anyway, I found them documented
> in the RTL in StrUtils unit.

Yes, LHelp does have a search function (though I don't know what sorting
it uses...)

>> Please create an according FPC bug report, if none exists yet, and hope that
>> somebody will update the documentation.
>
> No, maybe use a help viewer that actually works. Then if it is still
> not found or documented, report as a feature request or bug report.

1.) This seems to be a problem of the IDE or the integration package
which can't find Writeln, etc. because they don't exist in the source.
2.) Verification for existance can also be done by searching manually in
the documentation or using "IDENTIFIER site:freepascal.org" in Google.

Regards,
Sven