[Lazarus] Anchoring buttons (or other graphical elements)

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Feb 15 20:48:00 CET 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:03:14 +0100
Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
>  > > I am trying to understand the logic of the anchors of graphic elements
>  > > like buttons etc., especially the meaning of the margin values.
>
>  > Maybe you want read the documentation:
>
>  > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Autosize_/_Layout#BorderSpacing
>

> It's a bit frustrating that I *thought* I had found the documentation (
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Anchor_Sides )
> but  then you point me to yet another documentation about the same topic.
> Spreading documentation all over the place is not a good idea. ;-(

Putting everything on one page is not a good idea either. That's why
the www uses links. Both pages are linked.
I also got complains that the page is too big. Golden rule: The layout
of documentation is always wrong.

> I read a bit more (I did not understand this fully yet because it seems
> a very complicated algorithm
> with lots of variables involved)

It's more powerful than the VCL.
It's small compared to other layout engines e.g. for html and css.

> but what strikes me is that horizontal
> and vertical borders seem
> to be treated differently. Is there a reason for this?

Why do you think so?

Mattias