[Lazarus] Lazarus slow on large files

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Thu Feb 16 15:46:10 CET 2012

On Thursday 16 of February 2012 12:19:24 Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:48:08 +0200
>
> Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 16 February 2012 04:21, Mattias Gaertner  wrote:
> > > TStringGrid in messages?
> >
> > Yes, I believe the Messages window used to use a StringGrid (or was
> > that a ListView or ListBox?).
>
> TListBox. But that was too slow on some widgetsets.

That's because of model/view architecture (at least under qt) .
I think that we should think about adding TVirtualStringTree into lazarus as
default component and use it at such critical places. There you can put 100M
records in a msec, and also you can draw whatever there.

In my apps I'm using virtualstringtree in modules whenever I expect > 100
items on screen, otherwise listview / stringgrid fits ok.

zeljko