[Lazarus] Lazarus and FPC teams need direction for marketing/promotion

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 25 18:18:30 CET 2012

On 25.02.2012 18:07, Andrew Brunner wrote:
> Example: Social is trendy so FPC/Lazarus should come with components
> to interface with Craigslist / Facebook / Twitter / Google .  Access
> requires http or https requests so openssl would need to be more fully
> developed.

For adding components someone needs to have
a) the time
and
b) the interest
to implement them. I don't doubt that there are developers that have
both, but maybe they want to spent their time on other features that
they want to see implemented in Lazarus first.

(Note: I myself don't have (b) ;) )

> I often find myself needing a library ported to FPC.  Recently I came
> across the Lucene project.  With Lucene developers can create full
> text search / document searches.  I need a lucene component or
> something like it.  Enterprise search is BIG.  It would be ideal.
> Then you get in the search engines for Lucene keyword and voila - a
> developer is going to evaluate Lazarus/FPC for adoption.  But the more
> developed these components are the better chance will be for the
> developer to recommend Lazarus.  And for the firm/institution will
> approve it.

There is the ioda search engine which is written in Free Pascal. I have
never tried it yet, but it's on my radar:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ioda/

Regards,
Sven