[Lazarus] Why the Java became so strong?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:43:08 CET 2012

2012/2/28 Rigel Rigel <rigel at gbg.bg>:
> I think Java is a C/C++  dialect.

Java is totally different from C/C++, it is only superficially similar.

> My point is that for now Internet and mobile applications has focus. And the
> place of Lazarus/Pascal is little in them. I hope this change.

About mobile applications you are quite mistaken. I have been working
Lazarus support for mobiles since many years:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Windows_CE_Interface

Lazarus-0.9.30-fpc-2.4.2-cross-arm-wince-win32.exe had 10.000 downloads
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/Lazarus%200.9.30/

I also added Android support:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Custom_Drawn_Interface/Android

FPC can write apps for the iPhone. The LCL also runs in MeeGo. That
covers 90% of the mobile market.

And for the server side in the internet we have fpWeb:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/fcl-web

Which basically just needs more tutorial, more example pages built
with it, more extra libraries, etc, which are thing which come from
people using it.

We currently don't have anything for the client side in the internet,
but here I guess it is a lost cause. Even huge companies are loosing
the battle to get a slice of the client side of the internet. Java,
Silverlight and Flash plugins are slowly being replaced by JavaScript.
(which is unrelated to Java despite the name)

But summing up, more then yet another discussion on this topic, what
really helps is contributions. If you think that Pascal needs better
support for the Internet, well, then just write some tutorials about
fpweb, write a usage statistics counter using fpweb, write a Forum or
whatever other generally useful software with it and release it open
source. Or write a LCL interface which support CGI. Make an
announcement and then answer questions of people using it, etc.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho