[Lazarus] Why the Java became so strong?

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Tue Feb 28 23:21:22 CET 2012

Am Dienstag, den 28.02.2012, 21:45 +0100 schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Marc Santhoff schrieb:
> >> +-1
> >>
> >> Yes, much time is spent on the *code*, on mass instead of quality.
> >> No, the *documentation* is in an horrible state.
> >
> >>From my view this is not absolutely true. There in fact is a lot of
> > documentation, but it's often a problem to find it. Most things are
> > already available in the wiki or the generated docs.
>
> I do not only mean general information, but information about the added
> features, that can be provided only by the inventors of these features.

You are absolutely right in this special case. No newbie or noone not
involved into development of compiler features is able to document
those.

> The team presents itself as "we are the greatest", and assumes that
> every user will understand immediately these great ideas, casted into
> cryptic code. Everybody else, be a Lazarus user already, or be somebody
> interested in learning more about Lazarus, is left alone in the rain.

That's why I suggested sort of a solution which you cut off from my
previous mail:

Making missing docs more visible makes it easier to handle, not only for
seekers of information but for the poeple having enough knowledge to
fill in the gaps, too.

If there was page collecting those features it would be really easy to
step in and write some sentences, otherwise the developer would have to
scan all available sources or xml files. Maybe the release notes already
have this list to transfer to the wiki or whereever it should go.

As a side effect developers may be getting a push from time to time when
someone asks for one of the undocumented topics. Hopefully this would
help getting pieces together over time ...

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>