[Lazarus] Help on FCL?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:29:46 CET 2012

On 27 January 2012 12:13, Michael Schnell  wrote:

>> A known problem, and you would have know about this too if you opened
>> the ref.inf file on it's own - the first help topic explains this (the
>> text in RED on the cover page).

Please note I did not mean this rude. You did use DocView via IDE
integration, so DocView opens multiple files, and nobody would have
seen that UTF-8 notice.

> Of course (given that this is "help" and help is only necessary for dummies
> and the idiots that keep forgetting stuff) it would be great if this step
> could somehow be automated.

I tried various possible solutions - none to my satisfaction. I guess
I could hard-code DocView to use UTF-8 when a 'ref.inf' file is
loaded, but that will just be a ugly hack. You also can't force
DocView to always use UTF-8, because then other INF files which use
CPxxx encodings will display incorrectly. So I opted to put a RED
notice on the cover page of the ref.inf file. :)

I'll add a note about this problem to the IDE Integration [fpGUI] web
page. Hopefully that will help others. Thanks for bringing this to my
attention - I'm so used to flipping the text encoding combobox, I
don't even notice I'm doing it any more.

  - Graeme -