[Lazarus] Lazarus helpfiles

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:18:40 CEST 2012

On 10/07/2012 15:47, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You raise some valid points, which might still be a concern today. I
> still get annoyed when I need to setup a Windows development
> machine. I would like a Lazarus binary release, but without FPC,
> because I prefer to keep my FPC source on par with the FPC Fixes
> branch. So I don't need the outdated FPC that is included with the
> Lazarus installer.

Well I am much less adventurous :J
this is the IT_industry-age-old debate of 'is worse better'.

To you developers of the tool, worse is indeed better.
To users who use the tool, they need something that produces
/stable/ results and behaves predictably, even if it's limited.

(I admire the process Linus T. has created for Linux kernel reg. stable releases :
 I keep wondering why more software projects don't jump the bandwagon ;)
 even thou you get 'go download a newer kernel will ya' thrown
 at if you ask them about kernel 2.6.24 :J )

> On 10 July 2012 15:14, Lukasz Sokol <el.es.cr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I didn't dare to propose this for 3 reasons : - chm package
>> is 16.3MB, adding to already heavy 78.8MB lazarus installer exe,
>> not cool for some people who are bandwidth-challenged; If the
>> plain-text html is the same content, that could be included by
>> default, possibly.
>
> I was one of those poor souls that had limited bandwidth per month.

Yeah I thought I saw the p^W^Wyou mentioning it.
I grew up on a 115200 symmetric link ;) and on a 56k modem before that.
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIS (sorry it's in polish - this solution
was used probably nowhere else in the world according to this page ;)
even the Russians knew better :J )

> That is why I offered the INF help and DocView to the Lazarus
> community. INF files + DocView binary is a mere 2.3MB download - and
> the INF help files contain all the same information as the other
> formats. Oh, and it is supplied in the ZIP format. ;-)

Well I am not disk challenged, and I don't like to wait ;) html suits me
(and if anything, I don't need external programs, ff will do ;)

L.