[Lazarus] Building help files: the nitty-gritty

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 19:20:47 CEST 2012

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On a second thought: not good.
> It should be
>
> SearchPath="/usr/local/share/lazarus-trunk/docs/html;/usr/local/share/lazarus-trunk/docs/html/lcl;/usr/local/share/lazarus-trunk/docs/chm"
>
> Please check Tools / Options / Help / Help Options / Viewers / CHM Help
> Viewer / HelpFilesPath.
> It should be empty to use the default or contain $(LazarusDir)/docs/chm.

It's set to /usr/local/share/lazarus-trunk/docs/html/lcl/. Setting it
blank enables access to help for begin, $R etc. Thanks for that.

I'm sorry for getting slightly irritable but I spent a lot of time at
the end of last week trying to find what I was doing wrong with my build
scripts- it was only a day later that I realised that I'd had several
ssh sessions open and set to different directories.

However, the really annoying thing is that
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Help_in_the_IDE in the section "If
you are using Lazarus from Subversion"- which if course I am- explicitly
says '"HelpFilesPath" should be, where you put the CHM files': nothing
at all about the fact that in at least some cases it's better to leave
it blank because the IDE will "do the right thing".

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk