[Lazarus] Adds Gauge component on Lazarus

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 23:38:40 CEST 2012

Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb:
> Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> silvioprog schrieb:
>>
>>> So, the components of palette "Samples" also have copyright? I don't
>>> saw copyright on top of the unit, then I copied it.
>>
>> Current (international) copyright requires that an *author* is
>> identified with every unit/document, or for all parts of a project.
>> This author can give permission for the use of the unit.
>
> But at the same time, a collection can be copyrighted even if the
> constituent parts can't be by virtue of being PD or purely factual.

I'm not sure what you mean here. In German (EU?) law such a collection
can have it's own protection *as a whole*, regardless of and not
affecting the original protection or rights on its components.

> So
> if, as an example, a proprietary development tool took PD example code
> and added a project file or makefile, they would have a defensible
> copyright applicable to the overall assemblage even if what they'd added
> wasn't marked.

Then the PD parts, and whatever else has been added from third parties,
can be pulled out of the collection by everybody, and can be used at the
original conditions applicable to every single part.

The Win-SDK part of older Delphi Help is such a part, whose rightholder
still is Microsoft. It can be assumed that Borland has obtained the
right to distribute these files, otherwise they had not been allowed to
do so.

DoDi