[Lazarus] .gitignore removed when build cleanup

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 10:14:37 CEST 2012

On 17 June 2012 16:09, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

> There is normally no reason to store the output directory in svn.

I store a '.gitignore' file inside those directories, and that is
version controlled by Git. The benefit of this was that a new checkout
via git would recreate the complete directory structure, and those new
cloned repositories would have the correct ignore files in place. The
recreated directory structure is also an important point, because I
don't always compile my projects with Lazarus (which creates output
directories on demand). eg: compiling my projects directly with FPC,
FPC doesn't auto-create output directories.

My alternative solution (the .git/info/exclude file) is a private
ignore mask, and is not version controlled by git. So only I benefit
from it. Other users of the project will have to edit there own files
after a checkout.

So the only 100% true solution would be to implement a "ignore files
mask" in Lazarus IDE. Now the next question is, where would this
"ignore files mask" settings be stored. For it to work in a project
with multiple developers, it will have to be stored as part of the
project settings (*.lpi file), and not as a user customised setting.

Or.... just don't use the "clean up build files" feature in Lazarus
and save yourself a lot of hassle. ;-)

  - Graeme -