[Lazarus] Grouping radio buttons

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 11:30:08 CET 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 20 March 2012 03:34, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at a....> wrote:
>> Buttons in a panel or RadioGroupBox instead are naturally perceivable as
>> related.
>

> That is highly dependent on the UI layout. For a clean and uncluttered
> look, panels don't help the cause much.

Most layout managers and widgetsets organize layouts in rectangles,
docking managers do it the same way. This "regular" model is both a
simple and stable approach, encouraging clean layouts at the same time.
IMO it's the equivalent of structured code, for the GUI.

> Having component free from
> bounding panels, also allow for much more flexibly layout when things
> are being resized by the end-user, dpi changes, themes changes,
> dynamic content added at runtime (eg: help text inserted and pushing
> component apart temporarily) etc...

All these issues can be handled nicely in a regular approach.

> We don't live in boxes or grids
> (hopefully <smile>), so why should our UI components.

Undisciplined or uneducated users prefer to write spaghetti code, and to
hack together some irregular GUI or webpages. They are on their own when
nobody wants to have a look at their code or applications, due to the
lack of an obvious structure.

DoDi