[Lazarus] Size of binaries etc.

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:51:50 CET 2012

Am 21.03.2012 17:25, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
> Sven Barth wrote:
>> Am 21.03.2012 14:44, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
>
>>> But the bottom line is that the target audience is IBM mainframe
>>> hackers, used to handcrafting assembler and punching EBCDIC with their
>>> teeth. I don't want them to say "Binaries bigger than 1Mb? NBG".
>>>

>> Maybe it would be better to show non-GUI executables? Those are
>> normally much smaller. Also these might be more useful on a mainframe?
>
> The couple of things I'm looking at are both GUI-oriented. The first
> looks at a .aws file which is an image of a mainframe tape, logs the
> start of each record, and then allows each to be (decoded from EBCDIC
> and) displayed. As far as I can tell, nobody's done this for anything
> other than Windows. The second is a telnet terminal for IBM's APL\1130,
> which can otherwise only be used by a horrible hack.
>
> So while neither has any pretension to actually run on a mainframe, I'm
> still fairly sensitive to criticism if any of the "old school" starts
> grumbling that they're a couple of orders of magnitude larger than they
> need to be.

The main reason they are larger is because they contain all the cross
platform abstraction... You might hold this statement under their noses ;)

Note: Executables produced by Delphi 2009 or newer in their default
settings are also larger than ones produced by older Delphi compilers,
because of the extended RTTI.

Regards,
Sven