[Lazarus] Size of binaries etc.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 17:25:22 CET 2012

Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 21.03.2012 14:44, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:

>> But the bottom line is that the target audience is IBM mainframe
>> hackers, used to handcrafting assembler and punching EBCDIC with their
>> teeth. I don't want them to say "Binaries bigger than 1Mb? NBG".
>>

> Maybe it would be better to show non-GUI executables? Those are normally
> much smaller. Also these might be more useful on a mainframe?

The couple of things I'm looking at are both GUI-oriented. The first
looks at a .aws file which is an image of a mainframe tape, logs the
start of each record, and then allows each to be (decoded from EBCDIC
and) displayed. As far as I can tell, nobody's done this for anything
other than Windows. The second is a telnet terminal for IBM's APL\1130,
which can otherwise only be used by a horrible hack.

So while neither has any pretension to actually run on a mainframe, I'm
still fairly sensitive to criticism if any of the "old school" starts
grumbling that they're a couple of orders of magnitude larger than they
need to be.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk