[Lazarus] Embarcadero vs Lazarus/FPC (Oracle vs Google)

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:52:41 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> FPC and Lazarus are not interfacing with Delphi, they are cloning
> Delphi functionality and API [with some minor tweaks of there own],
> and making a competing product. As far as I can see, this is exactly
> what Google did with Java - and Oracle is not happy with this. In a
> similar situation Microsoft tried this before [with Java] and Sun won
> the case there.

I've never ran a check to see what is different in units.  Delphi is
Windows ONLY.  And replication or overlap would only effect windows based
units.  Borland Delphi does not exist.  Inprise Delphi does not exist.
Embarcadero is new.  The fact remains that Lazarus/FPC predate
Embarcadero's purchase of Delphi.  Therefore it was
their responsibility to do execute DUE DILIGENCE prior to their purchase.

> shows). But for anybody else, this is a bit worrisome. :-(  I guess we
> will just have to wait and see what the judge decides.

Please.  I wouldn't spend too much time waiting.  The reason Embarcadero
was rescued from the chopping block was their owner loves the language.
 Embarcadero is not going to make enemies.  I'm sure if they have a
legitimate complaint something will be done.  Lazarus/FPC far
more ubiquitous than Delphi.  And without Lazarus. Delphi has no future.
 As sad as that sounds.

Killing or slowing this project would mean certain death for pascal (as a
whole) as an adopted language.  And FPC/Lazarus is the only reason why
developers consider pacal as a viable option.  And some
businesses prefer a commercial product  they can pay for Delphi.  But
Delphi will never again be the product they once were.