[Lazarus] Embarcadero vs Lazarus/FPC (Oracle vs Google)

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:29:20 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM, <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> Stealing IP ? That depends on your point of view.

Ownership is always a perspective issue.  We all just try to carve out
ownership.  Patents offer a way to convert work product into other things.

> My view is that IP itself is theft. The concept of IP is fundamentally
> flawed.
>
> Knowledge should be free for all, and not 'owned' by someone for mere
> monetary gain.

I agree.  But the way in which problems are solved and solutions are
brought to market should be somewhat sacred.

> IP is much like the church and its universal truths in the middle ages. I
> thought we got rid of those shackles, now we get other ones. Instead of
> church, we have large corporations.

I agree.

> If someone found a cure for all kinds of cancer, and kept it for himself
> using the IP umbrella, I'd label him a criminal against humankind and send
> him to trial in The Hague.

Not if he or she was a big pharma employee.  They would be given a gold
watch and a few high fives. ;-)