[Lazarus] RE : RE : Improve watches dialog [was: Re: Improvemessagedialog]

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri May 25 13:35:29 CEST 2012

On 25/05/2012 03:24, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Zaher Dirkey schrieb:
>
>> Maybe we can ask dock manager maintainer this feature "stay on top",
>> i meant adding new button to effect stay on top, near to close button
>> in the header of dock.
>
> In a docked layout the user selects the windows, which are or can be
> visible at the same time. A "stay on top" option is applicable only to
> floating windows, or to windows docked into a notebook.
>
> When docked into a notebook, only one tab can be visible at the same
> time. A "stay on top" window then should only select the according tab
> once, but must not prevent the user from selecting an different tab
> later.

Sure, but the problem is, implementing it for the actuals windows. Any
package, that registers windows with the IDE (incl[uding the windows in
the IDE itself, do not know (and should not need to know if there is or
is not a docking mgr.

So currently the watches window, would have a toolbutton, and simply set
the window to stay on top.

Only that way the docking manager can't interfere with it. Even if it
would catch the set "stay on top", it could not hide the button.

So IMHO the IDE interface (which already provides methods to show
windows (so the layout can be stored etc) must be extended. It needs a
command that makes the window stay on top, and a function to provide the
info, if that can be done.