[Lazarus] how to install fpc trunk

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:48:00 CET 2012

On 6-11-2012 9:23, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>> Afaik it may be necessary to have the 2.6.0 in path, as some other
>> tools may be needed (has happened in the past). May work without it in
>> path, maybe...
>
> From building MIPS at the end of last week, I think that all you need is
> ppc[whatever], fpc, and the RTL. Note, however, the requirement for the
> fpc binary, even if using an explicit PP= setting.
Mark's experiences mirror my own with fpcup.

As for the OP's question - have you read the wiki at all?
1. If on Windows (you didn't say), this:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#FPC_Sources_for_Windows
would seem to apply but it seems erroneous:
> First create a directory in which you'd like to put the sources. Any normal user can do this
... no they can't if they use the example c:\source, because they'll
need to be admin on Vista+ with elevated privileges
This is admitted later on but that hardly helps clarity.

1b
> Extending your PATH variable to the fpc directory:
> PATH=%PATH%;C:\pp\bin\bin\win32
c:\pp doesn't match with the c:\source earlier, and is unnecessary
anyway if you use PP=... (though you do need to make sure to have make
etc in your path, so setting the path *is* actually the easiest to
explain - however, you can temporarily change path only in that cmd
session by using SET PATH=%PATH%;c:\bla)

1c. Next we get competing instructions from Marcos Douglas on how to do
the same.... which is redundant.

I tried to get this wiki page more into shape but I've given up.

2. Of course, if you are asking about FPC installation, the best
reference is the FPC documentation, especially the Build FAQ:
http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf
... though the FPC site documentation did not seem to mention that
prominently...

Regards,
Reinier