[Lazarus] Please define "delphi compatibility"

Deon de Wet-Roos ddewetroos at mweb.co.za
Wed Oct 10 20:31:28 CEST 2012

Hi

I'm a chemist in South Africa and I'm trying to start a new line in
programming.  I started out with Delphi 4 and being  a poor chemist I
thought Lazarus was the answer to my programming needs.  I cannot afford to
fork out thousands of Rands for a new programming language and besides
Pascal was the language I grew up with at varsity.  Can any of you guru's
advise me what the best option is? I like Delphi and made my first US$ 10
000 using Delphi 4.  I'd like to continue with Lazarus and pay a donation
for everything I earn using lazarus.  However it seems there are many ego's
involved with the development of lazarus and that makes me jittery.  If
Lazarus is not the best cross platform programming language then what is?
In South Africa we don't have the luxury of pensions and I'll have to work
until I die.  My idea is to develop technical solutions to companies in C++,
Pascal and Matlab but if I cannot count on Lazarus what must I do?

Deon