[Lazarus] Alternatives to WinCE (Windows Mobile)

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 1 11:52:56 CEST 2012

On 31.08.2012 11:16, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Tommi Prami <groups.tprami at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, but still... as seems that Microsoft is not supporting that line of
>> Windows Mobile for very long... And possibility to support WinRT with other
>> thatn Microsoft compilers seems not to be possible anyways... (Slightly off
>> topic but an point to think of...)
>
> Why not? I thought that WinRT is just the same as normal Win32/64
> apps, but the availables APIs are different. Or am I wrong?

I have not yet looked into it deeply, but applications that use WinRT
can be normal binary applications (this includes managed ones) and also
HTML5/JavaScript based ones. The latter is not that intresting for this
topic, so I'll concentrate on the former. Those apps then use the APIs
provided by WinRT and only those. The operating system can then check
whether the application behaves "good" and only uses that APIs and then
allows to run it on "locked down" versions of Windows like the ARM
version of Windows 8. Only the non-WinRT applications provided by
Microsoft (Explorer, System Control, Task Manager, etc.) are allowed to
run on Windows ARM.

So to support running LCL applications on WinRT only (like is needed on
a locked down Windows 8 ARM) we'd need to be able to support WinRT and
then maybe (as best solution) provide a CustomDrawn target for WinRT
without resorting to the normal WinAPI (though I'm not really sure
whether any WinAPI usage is not allowed - if that is really the case
we'd need a new compiler target for WinRT).

If we'd have a "unlocked" Windows 8 ARM though we should rather easily
be able to provide a new arm-win32 target which allows to run normal
LCL-win32 applications on that system...

Regards,
Sven