[Lazarus] Debugging shared libraries

Bernd prof7bit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 21:07:23 CEST 2012

2012/9/16 Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk>:

> interesting question: can Lazarus+gdb be persuaded to trace into a shared
> library?

While developing the libpurpletorchat plugin (a libpurple plugin) I
did not notice any problems debugging the library.

In Lazarus I set /usr/bin/pidgin as host application and then click
the run button,
pidgin (written in C) then loads libpurple
libpurple (also written in C) loads my plugin (library written in Free Pascal)

all breakpoints worked, callstack worked and stepping through my
library (and even from there back into libpurple) was no problem at
all. I did this on Linux/i386, I did not try debugging on windows. I
did not notice any debugging problems at all due to the fact that it
is a library instead of a program, it worked exceptionally well.