[Lazarus] Hints for Android

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 11 17:35:46 CEST 2013

Am 11.04.2013 17:08 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk>:

> On 2013-04-11 12:35, Santiago A. wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to start my first program in Android, due I am a pascal guy
> > :-) , I will try it with lazarus and windows.
>
> I'm about to embark in the Android world too - never done it before.
> I'll take a look at the FPC support, but I might just take the road more
> well known, and brush up on my Java skills.

With FPC 2.7.1 you can use native and JVM based development. The
corresponding links where in this thread already and if you want an example
JVM application I can send you a link to the source (maybe I'll add a
github repo for it...)

> Also, do you know if one needs to pay Google to develop and publish
> Android apps... eg: like the $99 per year per developer for iOS and Apps
> Store privileges?

I've not yet published an app, but AFAIK you don't need to pay anything
(maybe only if you have a paid app).

> I also had a look at Ubuntu Phone OS on my Nexus 4 today. I was very
> disappointed in that. For the amount of hype Canonical has raised, they
> seem to have done very little. 95% of what you see in the current
> developer preview of Ubuntu Phone is pure mock-ups. And the Facebook and
> Gmail "apps", is simply the web browser taking you to the respective
> websites. Some keyboard keys don't work (no comma, no capitals etc), not
> even the calculator apps is functional! Canonical still needs a lot more
> "real" work (not mock-ups), before anybody is going to take Ubuntu Phone
> seriously.

After Canonical has announced yet another display server just when Wayland
was starting to off they are more of less dead for me...

Regards,
Sven