[Lazarus] SSH

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Aug 2 10:12:19 CEST 2013

On 08/01/2013 05:20 PM, Richard Mace wrote:
> ... as many of my users will have never even seen a Linux command line
> before :)

What exactly are you up to?

We still don't know how the targeted setup is supposed to be.

E.g.
  - a Windows computer in a company network that can access a Linux box
in the server room with the IT department managing the installation of
any software on trhe users desktop
  - you send your software to a dummy user somewhere in the world and he
is supposed to install and run it and access a Linux box via the Internet.

With the first obviously CIFS (aka Samba) is the way to go: Easy stuff,
as you program just calls the file operations provided by the RTL.

With the second example "easy software" s not really possible:
  - at best only your program should be installed and no additional
components such as Putty, VPN, dlls done in C, ... should be necessary
to be installed and no manual setup of SSH key should be necessary
that means the complete protocol should be managed by (Pascal) software
  - the user might sit behind a firewall that forbids any protocol other
than the use of of HTTP(S) and requires the use of a proxy server.
  - if you need encryption (such as HTTPS) you supposedly need an SSH
key provider server (either locally on the Linux box or "officially
certified")

In that case I recommend using http (or https) upload (AFAIK, this is
available with Synapse).
Of course here you need to configure the Linux box to have a HTTP server
and provide the upload service.

-Michael