[Lazarus] Congrats on the new project options screen

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Aug 7 22:18:45 CEST 2013

On 8/7/2013 15:48, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>> can we get a "please stand by while loading options list" window that pops
>> up to let us know that something is, indeed, happening?
>
> How long it takes to load the options with your computer?
> What kind of CPU (type and speed) does it have?
> Hard-drive speed matters, too, because fpc executable is read from it.
> Windows may also be slower in starting processes than Linux which I mostly use.

as noted upstream in this thread...

w2k-SP4 with all available updates
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
768M RAM

and the HD is a WDC WD300BB (at this time)...

> I have tested with a mini-laptop with Intel Atom CPU and loading the
> options was really fast. The delay was barely noticeable and the
> cursor indicated something was happening.

the first time, when i noted seeing the two windows pop up as the data was
retrieved, it was around 5+ seconds... the second time, after mattias' fix to
hide the windows, it was just a little longer but that may be due to other
activities going on at the same time...

> Maybe I should get some really old machine to test with.

i resemble that remark! ;) O:)

> This problem can be solved also by loading the options in a background thread.

yes, that would work and shouldn't be noticeable... unless one goes directly to
those options which is rather doubtful...