[Lazarus] The future of desktop

vfclists . vfclists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 13:46:21 CET 2013

Rumours of my death are greatly exaggerated. People always treat articles
which are placed to boost the shares of technology companies with actual
trends. So long as large screens are needed to perform tasks desktops will
exist.

The worst that can happen is that tablets and smartphones will require
docking stations to play the role of desktops when big screens and
keyboards are required to perform a task. They will still require desks
won't they? Printers, scanners, external drives need a desk or shelf
somewhere in order to be useful.

On 6 December 2013 10:49, Danny Weldon <danny.weldon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like we're not the only ones discussing
> the future of desktop apps:
>

> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/13/12/04/0346251/the-desktop-is-dead-long-live-the-desktop
>

> On 5 December 2013 06:30, vfclists . <vfclists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 4 December 2013 20:20, Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org>
> wrote:

> create a
> >>
> >> If the guys who started lazarus, would have thought the same, there
> >> would be no lazarus at all. If an OSS tool misses a certain feature,
> >> then there is simply not enough interest, else somebody who needs it,
> >> would implement it. Period.
> >>

> >> --
> >

> > I think the problem is more of an issue of newcomers confidence that they
> > can dive into the codebase and start tackling stuff, or at least they can
> > find someone to guide them if they want to. Systems programming is not an
> > easy area to get involved with and there are many developers who have
> never
> > had to get anywhere close to that kind of programming. It all looks
> rather
> > daunting for those who may not be so proficient at Pascal or experienced
> in
> > low level programming
> >

> > --
> > Frank Church