[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Dec 26 13:36:50 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 10:43:24PM +0100, Jy V wrote:
> Sorry Marco,

No problem.

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
>
> > There is no utf8 on Windows. One can try to mess with the defaultcodepage,
> > but that will probably only force a different kind of problems.
> >

> I cannot let you answer alone and make you appear as the only knowledgeable
> reference for this important subject,
> it looks like defining default code page 65001 for Windows make it perfect
> fit to handle UTF-8
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd317756%28VS.85%29.aspx

As the others already said, that is mostly a target for conversions. (you
still need from/to utf8 conversion if you use utf8 documents, thus the
conversion routines support utf8).

That is something else than Windows APIs (and stuff like MSXML, ADO etc)
support utf8.

utf8 proponents often then say "then just set utf8 as default encoding", but
some limited experiments from me created more problems than it solved. IOW
it is always suggested as "the solution", but few to none people did anything
substantial with it. I know the command shell can crash if you chcp 65001

It is mostly a suggestion to end debate and get their way.

I'm going to study the links posted in this thread (from the Microsoft guy)
to get more info myself too.