[Lazarus] Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 15:48:34 CET 2013

It happened again. The word "Unicode" was mentioned and the result is
an endless debate of how it should be done. Now > 100 messages and
counting ...

I personally don't care much what the default encoding will be, but I
wonder how easy it will be to use UTF-8 for my employer's code.
The situation with FPC will be better than with Delphi because FPC
does not convert automatically to default encoding ALWAYS. It only
converts when the conversion is needed.
For example TStringList can be used for UTF8Strings and it does not
trigger automatic conversion.
Isn't it so? Please correct me if I still got it wrong.

It means UTF-8 with FPC will be easier than UTF-8 with Delphi, even if
UTF-16 was the default.

Juha