[Lazarus] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: Lazarus (UTF8) and Windows: SysToUTF8, UTF8ToSys... Is there a better solution?

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 28 14:09:14 CET 2013

Am 28.12.2013 13:37, schrieb Jürgen Hestermann:
> Am 2013-12-28 13:19, schrieb Florian Klämpfl:
>>> I understand. But if the major companies prefer to use C# or Java
>>> instead Delphi well, they not care about Delphi compatibilities. If
>>> they care, why they would be leaving Delphi?
>> If they leave Delphi compatibility, they normally don't go for a
>> marginal oss compiler.
>
> The question is:
> Why did they use Delphi before at all?
>
> If the reason was that Delphi was a very common and widespread
> programming environment
> then it is a understandable behaviour to move to the next main stream
> environment
> as soon as budget and time allows.
> Such people would never care about FPC/Lazarus (even when it was fully
> Delphi "compatible").
> They would never think about using it.
> So making FPC/Lazarus "compatible" would not hold any user of this group.

The world is not only 1 and 0. FPC lives (and living means getting
usefull code!) from being delphi compatible but filling the niches
delphi leaves open. Everything else is "by-catch".

> If the reason was that they like Pascal as an easy to learn and
> mantain language then they will invest into migration even
> if not all parts are the identical to Delphi.
> Just the opposite:
> They may like that not all misconcepts are repeated in
> FPC/Lazarus and they may like that it is open source.

GPC proved your argumentation wrong. GPC took the "clean way" of
extended pascal (you always complain about fpc's dyn. arrays. Just use
GPC, it has the clean solution) Unfortuntaly GPC development stopped for
years due to missing contributors.  The people keeping FPC alive are
those interested in Delphi compatibility.