[Lazarus] Beyond Compare 4 built with Lazarus 1.2

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Dec 28 14:11:17 CET 2013

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013, Marcos Douglas wrote:

>> That said:
>> Nothing stops anyone from implementing a totally separate RTL for FPC.
>>
>> The number of internal functions that must be implemented for the compiler
>> to be able to function is rather limited.
>>
>> If you check the archives, you'll notice that I have often recommended
>> people to do so.
>
> So you do that, ie, make your own RTL? The major problem is work on
> Windows and I don't know if you work it.

Why would I ? I don't need it.

Frankly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Everything is perfectly clear to me, I know how to deal with issues, if they pop up.

Yes, 2.8 or 3.0 will be a big change. They will include a unicode RTL somehow.

If you work with 2.6.X, there is no problem to understand the RTL:
everything is ansistring: Single byte string, system codepage.

All the rest is either
- People who don't grasp the consequences of the above simple sentence.
- People spreading FUD.

And yes, I realize that if you really, really need unicode with 2.6.x,
you have a problem with the current RTL. No-one ever denied this.
At least, the Lazarus team tried to give a workaround with their UTF-8 functions.

The FPC team is working on a more fundamental solution.
So either be patient, or contact me for instructions on how you can help.

But please, Please, PLEASE stop these pointless discussions.

Michael.