[Lazarus] [OFFTOPIC] Person's name variations (Was: [ISSUE] FCL-Web and LazReport)

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 11:48:20 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Alex, could you try porting LazReport to nogui?
>>
>> Aside: "Alex", "Alexey" and "Alexander" are very different names in
>> Russian.
>> Please do not confuse me by using the wrong name ;)
>
> Well, there are people that prefer a shorter version of their name... For
> example I know a "Alexandra" which prefers to be called "Alex". :)

I am 99% sure that this person is not Russian.
This is actually an interesting property of the Russian language:
some common names, such as "Alexander", have very many variations,
which differ greatly in spelling and pronunciation, as well as in the
semantic implications of intimacy/rudeness/fraternity etc.
Nevertheless, they are all universally understood to be exact same
name: Alexander = Sasha = Shyurik = Sanyok = San'ka = Sashen'ka = ...
similarly, the other name, Alexey = Leha = Al'yosha = Leshka = ...
Finally, the name "Alex" is a separate name which belongs to neither list,
and is quite rare.
You can see now where the confusion is coming from :)

--
Alexander S. Klenin