[Lazarus] [OFFTOPIC] Person's name variations (Was: [ISSUE] FCL-Web and LazReport)

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 19 12:03:06 CET 2013

On 19.01.2013 11:48, Alexander Klenin wrote:

>>> Aside: "Alex", "Alexey" and "Alexander" are very different names in
>>> Russian.
>>> Please do not confuse me by using the wrong name ;)
>>
>> Well, there are people that prefer a shorter version of their name... For
>> example I know a "Alexandra" which prefers to be called "Alex". :)
>>

> I am 99% sure that this person is not Russian.
> This is actually an interesting property of the Russian language:
> some common names, such as "Alexander", have very many variations,
> which differ greatly in spelling and pronunciation, as well as in the
> semantic implications of intimacy/rudeness/fraternity etc.
> Nevertheless, they are all universally understood to be exact same
> name: Alexander = Sasha = Shyurik = Sanyok = San'ka = Sashen'ka = ...
> similarly, the other name, Alexey = Leha = Al'yosha = Leshka = ...
> Finally, the name "Alex" is a separate name which belongs to neither list,
> and is quite rare.
> You can see now where the confusion is coming from :)

That's interesting! O.o So do I understand that correctly that you don't
have such "name abbreviations" (the translation for the corresponding
German word "Kosename" seems to be "pet name" or "term of endearment")
in the Russian language but instead (at least to us "Westerners")
completely different names?

Regards,
Sven

PS: Are you registered in lazarus-other, so that we could move this to
another list?