[Lazarus] Shrink-fitting a form around its content

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 20:19:24 CET 2013

If I have something like a frame containing a wizard-style notebook, or
for that matter something like a DB-aware grid tailored to its content,
is there a portable way to fit a form or some other container around it?

The problem seems to be that each OS or widget set has a different
amount of "furniture" between its declared dimensions and its client space.

The particular case that I'm thinking of is a modal form I've knocked
together to get database login information. This is a notebook which
allows the server, port number, SSL mode, schema/table identifier etc.
to be collected, as well as the standard username and password. But it
would also be useful to be able to embed two of these into something
(i.e. one for a local database and one for an upstream one), which
suggests that redoing it as a frame would be a worthwhile approach
/provided/ that a container could be fitted trivially around it without
having to maintain conditional "fudge factors".

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk