[Lazarus] IDE

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 14:57:25 CET 2013

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 01/22/13 10:13, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
>> And worst of all when all of
>> this is for free.
>
> Please don't play the "free" card. You work on Lazarus as your open
> source project of choice. I work on other open source projects like
> tiOPF, fpGUI, OnGuard, FPTest etc. I decided to stop contributing
> development work to Lazarus, because I already work on enough other open
> source projects. I don't get paid for those either, plus I have a full
> time day job and a family that consumes 90% of my time.
>
> If cost is such an issue to you, then stop working on open source
> projects, or start charging for your work. Or just stop reading my messages.

I want to make two points there. The first is that you are being highly
selective in your quotation: I was not referring to the project as being
free (beer+speech) but to the unpaid give-and-take nature of the support.

The second is that I am most definitely not one of the core team, or
even at the periphery. I've got my own interests and responsibilities,
for me it's just a tool.

But that doesn't stop me from trying to play nicely with people who have
invested significant time and effort into it.

It does not help when somebody comes along and says "this is crap". It
does not help when somebody comes along and says "the project team is
crap". It does not help when somebody comes along and says "I see
somebody else is having problems which vindicates my attitude that
everything's crap". So let's just try to cut the crap and find what's
giving you problems, before anybody else gets screwed up. Please.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk